Winchester and Clark County are updating the Comprehensive Plan. These plans are being led by Planning Commission staff, City and County Officials, an Advisory Committee and a consultant team (See Who’s Involved).
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
- A legislative document
- An official policy statement for private development projects and community expenditures
- A vision of the future
- The foundation for land use decisions
What is Planning?
Planning is a collaborative process which ultimately defines a community’s vision for the future. This process includes articulating the values of the community, preparing for the future, and creating sound policies.
Why are we planning?
A Comprehensive Plan establishes the long-term community vision which defines the quantity of growth, quality of growth and location of growth that the community desires.
What function will a good plan serve?
- Preserves limited and natural resources
- Guides future development
- Communicates a realistic vision
- Mitigates potential negative impacts
- Provides a legal basis for land use regulations
- Guides capital improvements
- Creates an actionable plan